These Cinnamon Rolls are super fluffy and with a simple homemade dough
Cinnamon rolls are one of the easiest things to bake and I really have no idea why I don’t prepare them more often. I tried various recipes and generally the simpler the better. This version is an exact copy of the non-vegan version, substituting diaries with non-diary products, and eggs for flaxseeds. Let’s Start!
For the dough
- 1 cup of lukewarm soy milk
- 1/4 cup of melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- 5 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of yeast
- 2 tbsp of grounded flaxseeds
- 3 and 1/2 cups of white flour
- 1 dash of salt
For the filling
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of melted vegan butter or coconut oil
For the icing
- 1/2 cup of vegan unsweetened yogurt or vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp of melted vegan butter or coconut oil (I know, that’s a lot of fat!)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- In a cup or bowl combine the warm soy milk, melted butter or oil, sugar and yeast.
- Stir and put it aside for a few minutes to activate the yeast.
- Mix the ground flaxseeds with 3-4 tbsp of water and set aside for a couple of minutes to let the seeds absorb the water and reach a gluey texture.
- Add the flaxeggs to the wet ingredients mixture.
- Add the rest of the dough ingredients and mix until you have a sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead using as little flour as possible until you have an elastic and smooth dough.
- Cover it and let it rise for about 30 minutes. Punch it down and let it rise again for 30 minutes more.
- Lightly flour a kneading surface and roll the dough into a 50cmx40cm shape.
- Brush the melted butter over the top of the cinnamon rolls dough.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- You could also melt together butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and brush it on the top of the dough.
- Gently roll the dough and slice into 12 slices.
- Arrange the cinnamon rolls into a baking pan, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let them rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C/350°F.
- Bake the rolls for about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
For the icing
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Let the cinnamon rolls cool down for 15 minutes before taking them out of the pan and top with the icing.
This vegan cinnamon rolls recipe is much easier that you may think and it is a perfect combo with a cup of hot coffee or tea. Enjoy!