These mocha bars are incredible!
I just bought my new food processor and the same day hotforfood posted this insane vegan mocha bars recipe? I had to try it and it is one of the best thing ever created. They are creamy, flavorful and so rich I could die eating them. Let’s share this beauty!
First of all, you will need a food processor and a blender. You can probably get away only with a blender but there will be a lot pausing, scrapping down and restarting, at least for the base of the mocha bars. Secondly, although the original recipe calls for instant coffee, as an Italian that sounds like a blasphemy to me, so I went for actually espresso from my moka pot.
For the crust
- 1 cup of almonds
- 8 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
For the filling
- 1 and 1/2 cups of cashews
- 2 espresso shots
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 cup of coconut cream (if you can’t find coconut cream, put a can of coconut milk in the fridge and scoop out the top creamy part, leaving behind the water)
For the topping
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 50 grams of dark chocolate (optional)
- Place the raw almonds in a food processor and pulse to fine crumbs.
- Add in the other crust ingredients and pulse until you have a sticky dough. (if the dates are hard, soak them in water for 5-10 minutes before using them).
- Cover a pan (20cmx20cm) with baking paper and evenly distribute the crust.
- Place the crust in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Boil the cashews for 5 minutes, rinse and add them to a blender.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the filling on top of the crust.
- Freeze for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, prepare the chocolate topping by melting all the ingredients in a sauce pan on medium heat and whisking until very smooth.
- Immediately pour it on top of the mocha bars and freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Take the mocha bars out of the freezer and wait 10 minutes before lifting it out of the pan.
- Wait another 10 minutes before cutting. I suggest to pass the knife in warm water for a better cut.
This is a fairly easy recipe but the result are some incredible vegan mocha bars that will make you ask for more. Enjoy!
You like chocolate? Give a try to these peanut butter chocolate chips cookies!