10-minutes Thai Green Curry paste!
The Green Curry is probably one of the most famous Thai dishes, together with the Pad Thai. And a homemade paste has a completely different flavor.
It is pretty tough to find the ingredients if you are not in Thailand or in Southeast Asia, at least. The main difference compared to store bought is definitely the strong flavor given by the Kaffir lime zest. This cannot be substituted by regular limes or Kaffir lime leaves. It is what makes the Green Curry paste unique.
I would also say that using a mortar is probably the best way to get a more authentic green curry flavor. While using a food processor is faster (I did that) the heat and the metal blades will create some oxidation. Same reason why making the Italian pesto with a mortar is much better than using a food processor.
I will skip the nutrition facts, since it’s a bunch of various herbs and spices so the caloric content is neglectable, although it will give you plenty of micronutrients.
- 1 tbsp of cilantro roots
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp of galangal
- 1/4 cup of garlic
- 1 Kaffir Lime
- 4 tbsp of lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp of peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of shallots
- 15 Small Green Thai Chili Peppers
- Start by roasting cumin, coriander and peppercorns in a pan until you hear them cracking. Let them cool down for a few minutes.
- Slice the cilantro roots, galangal, lemongrass and shallots.
- Grate the zest of the Kaffir lime avoiding the white part.
- Add the seeds to a food processor and grind them to powder (or pound them if you are using a mortar).
- Add lemongrass and galangal and grind again.
- Add all the other ingredients and grind until you have a thick paste.
Done! I used the small grinder part to prepare the paste and not the large food processor with S-shaped blades. The same one you may use to grind spices or coffee beans. If you are using a mortar to prepare the Thai Green Curry paste, kudos to you, and be ready to work your arm for about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!