A decadent banoffee pie recipe
As soon as I watched the video from Hot for Food for a banoffee pie I decided to give it a shot with a couple of changes, since here in Thailand is not that easy or cheap to get vegan butter or a couple of other things. Here we go with this incredible dessert.
Well, it’s banoffee pie. It’s really fat! Do not expect this dish to easily fit your macros but it’s not always about that, right? It’s about a delicious meal. Let’s just do that extra 20 minutes of cardio. It’s worth it! Here are the nutrition facts for 1/8 of the pie.
|Vegan Banoffee Pie – 1 slice|
For the crust
- 1 cup of oats (I used quick-cooking oats but rolled oats will be fine)
- 1/2 cup of macadamia or walnuts
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of cold coconut oil
For the filling
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp of tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 lime
For the topping
- 1/2 can of coconut cream
- 40gr of dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC/350ºF
- Grind oats, sugar, nuts and salt in a blender or food processor until they have a flour-like texture.
- Move to a cold bowl (put it in the freezer before use) and add the cold coconut oil.
- Mix until it has a thick texture.
- Move the mixture to a tart pan with removable bottom.
- Push it down with your fingers or a spoon until it is compact.
- Put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Make some holes with a fork and bake the crust for 20 minutes. Let it cool down.
- Meanwhile cut the bananas and gently mix them with the juice of half lime.
- Prepare the toffee by pouring coconut milk, sugar, tapioca flour and salt in a saucepan and cooking it on medium it until it starts to get stickier. Keep stirring until it gets the desired texture. Remember that it will be a little bit thicker when cooled down.
- Add the bananas to the crust and cover with toffee.
- Put the pie in the fridge and let it there overnight.
- Before serving, whip the coconut cream. Keep it in the fridge to separate the fat from the water. Use only the fatty part.
- Top the pie with the whipped cream and chopped chocolate.
- Serve it cool but not frozen. Take it out of the fridge 5-10 minutes before topping and serving.
Delicious, right? Now go run that extra miles to stuff this beauty in your stomach. Enjoy!