A quick side dish made of eggplants.
The Sardinian eggplants (Melanzane alla sarda) is a quick appetizer or side dish prepared with simple ingredients and fully represents the Mediterranean cuisine.
It’s a very light recipe, very similar to a bruschetta made with eggplants instead of bread, and can be prepared in two ways: you can bake everything together or you can grill the eggplants and keep the tomatoes fresh.
This eggplants recipe is very low in calories, especially if you avoid or limit the olive oil, so eat it together with some more calorie-dense food. The recipe is for 1-2 portions. Here are the nutrition facts.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Parsley (Choose fresh, if you can)
- Olive oil (I used some cooking spray so I am not counting it.)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start by washing and cutting eggplants in 0.5cm/0.2in slices. Put them in a colander and add some salt to wash away the bitterness out of them.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes in small chunks. Put them in a bowl.
- Add chopped garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and oil to the tomatoes and stir gently. Let it marinade for 5 minutes.
- Wash the eggplants and start grilling them on a grill pan on medium heat, until cooked on both sides.
- Top them with the tomatoes and serve!
Alternatively, you could prepare a baking pan and layer eggplants and tomatoes until you finish all the ingredients. Bake at 200ºC/400ºF for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!