A seitan meal with an amazing side!
This time I changed things a little bit and instead a single dish recipe, I am going to propose a full meal idea. This BBQ seitan, rice and broccoli meal is perfect if you are trying to stay healthy and it’s easy to bulk-prepare by multiplying the doses and have more ready vegan meals to divide in your meal boxes!
This BBQ seitan meal is a bomb of proteins, extremely low in fat – you will actually have to compensate with some extra fat in other meals – and a lot of good complex carbs. Here are the nutrition facts!
|Grilled BBQ Seitan, Steamed Broccoli and Turmeric Rice|
- 250gr of seitan previously marinated in BBQ sauce (ideally overnight, 1 hour at least)
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1/2 medium broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh cilantro to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Roast cumin and coriander seeds in a small pot on medium heat.
- When they start releasing their flavor, add the rice and toast it for a couple of minutes before adding 2 cups of water, turmeric, and chopped garlic.
- Steam the broccoli on the top of the pot cooking the rice, to give it some flavor.
- Cook until the rice is soft but not mushy. When it’s almost ready, squeeze the lime juice, add the chopped cilantro and stir the rice.
- Meanwhile heat a pan on medium-high heat, grease it and grill the BBQ seitan until crispy on both sides.
- Serve everything together when warm with some extra cilantro or keep the BBQ seitan, turmeric rice and broccoli in a meal box and re-heat before eating.
You can use tofu or tempeh instead of seitan if you prefer, change the rice for any other grain, and the broccoli for some cauliflower. Any way you want to change it, this is a great sample meal idea on how to eat healthy and nutritiously on a vegan diet. Enjoy!