A fresh and tasteful skewers recipe.
I needed some change in my cooking routine and I found this delicious recipe for skewers and decided to try it, with a personal touch.
These skewers are pretty fat, mainly due to the olives. I used some olive oil to cook, too, but I will not include it in the recipe to keep things healthier.
Reduce the amount of olives of skip them entirely if you want a low-calories and low-fat meal. Here are the nutrition facts for the entire recipe.
|Zucchini Eggplant Skewers|
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 10 pitted black olives
- 1 lemon or 2 limes
- Some mint leaves and green onions
- Marjorane or thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil (optional)
- Wash and cut the zucchini and eggplant in thin slices.
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC/360ºF.
- In a bowl mix 1 chopped garlic clove with olive oil, some mint leaves, green onion, salt and pepper. Add 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Place the eggplant and zucchini slices on parchment sheet and brush them with the marinade.
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop and stir the onion in a pan.
- Once the onion is golden brown, add the chickpeas.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon/lime juice, the rest of the chopped herbs and the pitted olives.
- Mash everything or for a smoother paste use a food processor.
- Take a vegetable slice, add a tbsp of the chickpea paste and roll it. Assemble them with a skewer, alternating zucchini and eggplant rolls.
- You can even keep separated rolls or create layers using two vegetables slices.
Eat them cold or warm them up. Add your favorite things to the filling but for me it is perfect as it is. Enjoy!