Vegan Taquitos are another way to eat our beloved tortillas.
I remember watching some YouTube video a while ago where they prepared vegan taquitos ( Sorry, I can’t remember the channel). So I checked out some recipes and came up with my own vegan taquitos recipe.
These vegan taquitos are quite nutritious without being decandent. They have a good amount of fat due to the cashews but nothing terrible. They also have a good amount of proteins. The recipe is for 10 taquitos. Here are the nutrition facts for one.
- 1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 150/200 gr of oyster mushrooms
- 10 taco-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup of cashew sour cream (I followed the recipe from Hot for Food, adding some 1 extra tbsp of nutritional yeast)
- 1/2 cup of Buffalo Sauce (you can easily prepare it at home but I had it so…)
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Cilantro, Green onions and spices to taste (I used smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and cumin powder)
- Start by draining and rinsing the chickpeas.
- Preheat the oven at 210ºC/410ºF.
- Pour the chickpeas into a bowl and add the spices of your choice.
- Wash and finely chop the mushrooms. Add them to the bowl.
- Add the Buffalo sauce, the tomato paste and 2/3 of the cashew sour cream.
- Mash with a fork or a potato masher. Don’t overdo it. It’s better to keep some chunks.
- Add a large tbsp of the chickpeas mash to a tortilla and roll tightly.
- Place the rolled tortillas seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Top with some buffalo sauce and the rest of the cashew sour cream.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dipping of your choice.
These taquitos taste great and are a perfect appetizer for a dinner party. I suggest to serve them with some guacamole or nacho dip sauce. Enjoy!
PPS: Inspired by VeggieInspiredJourney.