Delicate and soft, these gnocchi are the perfect dish for any meal.
Most of the people do not realize how easy is to prepare gnocchi. And even more do not realize that the original gnocchi recipe is vegan. All you need are potatoes and flour. Very little flour. The secret is the texture of the potatoes. You need potatoes that do not keep too much water and fall apart when you cook them. With this kind of potatoes you can use very little flour, which will help to obtain soft and delicate gnocchi that do not taste of flour. This recipe is a variation which uses a mix of potatoes and carrots to obtain brighter gnocchi. And a creamy silken tofu sauce which you can switch with your favorite sauce. Let’s start.
Believe it or not, this vegan gnocchi recipe is pretty balanced, low in calories and with good nutrients. The recipe is for 4 servings.
|Gnocchi with carrots and rosemary in silk sauce – 1 serving|
- Two medium potatoes. Better to use old potatoes or generally potatoes that do not retain much water. (1$ for 1kg)
- Two medium carrots
- 6-8 tbsp of flour, depending on how much you need to calibrate the texture. Try to use less possible.
- Fresh rosemary to taste
- Salt to taste
For the sauce
- 250gr of silken tofu (0.8$)
- 2 tbsp of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 3 garlic cloves
- Rosemary to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes and carrots in a large pot. Do not peel or chop them. They will be ready when you can pass a toothpick through the middle.
- In the meantime put all the sauce ingredients in a blender and pulse until you have a smooth cream. Put aside.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots when they are still warm.
- In a bowl, mash them with a potato masher or a fork.
- Add the finely chopped rosemary, flour and salt.
- Stir until you have a soft but kneadable texture.
- Dust a surface and roll the gnocchi dough.
- Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Cut a piece and roll it into a small sausage shape.
- Cut into pieces of about 1cm. Repeat with all the dough.
- Now you have your gnocchi.
- You can pass them on a fork to have that stripy shape. (Check this video from The Vegan Corner. Miriam is a master in preparing gnocchi!)
- Pour the gnocchi in boiling water and pick them up once they start floating on the top.
- Quickly put them in a saucepan on low heat with the sauce.
- Top with some pepper and rosemary and serve hot!
I am not very good in shaping gnocchi but the taste was definitely on point. You can use the sauce of your choice, like some tomato sauce and fresh basil. Enjoy!