Barbecue seitan for those vegan gains.
This barbecue seitan recipe is perfect to give some flavour to the gluten protein. I love seitan (or gluten) for its adaptability. Depending how you prepare it, you can have very different results.
This recipe is extremely simple and, of course, you can customize it at your taste.
As you can imagine this barbecue seitan is packed with vegan proteins: 49% proteins, 44% carbs, 7% fat.
The recipe is for 4 servings, 3 strips each. Here the nutritional facts for one serving.
|Barbecue Seitan 1 serving|
- 280gr or 10oz of vital gluten or seitan flour (3.6$ for the one in the photo)
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast (9.6$ for 280gr)
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- Herbs to taste (I used rosemary and sage)
- 2 tbsp of nut butter (I used homemade peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce (1.7$ for the bottle)
- 1 cup of Barbecue sauce (I made it at home using this recipe)
- 1 cup of water
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC
- Mix all the dried ingredients in a bowl.
- In a cup, mix water, nut butter and soy sauce.
- Pour the mixture in the bowl and stir to mix dried and wet ingredients.
- Knead for no more than one minute or the seitan will be very chewy.
- Put the dough on a greased baking dish (I used the cooking spray) and flatten it.
- Cut the dough in four equal parts, then cut every part in three strips.
- Bake for 20/25 minutes.
- Prepare the grill. Unluckily I had to use a pan.
- Recut every seitan strip and brush the top with barbecue sauce.
- Use a spatula to lift the seitan out, and place it on the grill with the sauced side down.
- Brush the top with more barbecue sauce, and keep grilling.
- Turn over when brown on one side, adding more sauce, if necessary.
- Serve hot.
Here it is your protein-packed barbecue seitan vegan dish. Enjoy!
Inspired by Fat Free Vegan